Although it can always be confusing and intimidating getting into anything new, your question is really much ado about nothing. The OM1 and OM2 were designed to compliment each other, and are essentially identical cameras apart from the aperture priority AE mode on the 2. If you are just learning, you should be metering manually, anyway. Both will yield excellent results, and Zuiko lenses are readily available and of renowned quality. All that being said, the OM2 will get you the revolutionary OTF (Off The Film) exposure system that gives beautiful nighttime shots (up to two minutes). Find one that is working and a good deal and send it off to John Hermanson at zuiko.com for a CLA.

The OM2s is the one body I have not owned. It had a reputation for not being the most reliable. A spot meter can be handy, but it is good to first get a feel for the overall quality of light, the variation across the scene and panning the viewfinder image while watching the meter. I had had my OM2 for about ten years and was really feeling the need to get a spot meter. On a trip to New York I stopped in to one of the numerous camera shops, showed the fellow my OM2 and asked if he had an OM-2000. He replied, "You don't want that piece of crap. I've got what you need." From behind the counter he pulled out a gently used OM4. A OM4t subsequently became and still is the walking around camera. The spot meter gets used about 10% of the time, but I've always been glad to have spent that time cutting my teeth on the OM2 (and the Pen-FT before it).

If you want to see samples of what they can do, all the pictures in my gallery were taken with some combination of an OM and Zuiko lens.