kb3lms,

I hesitate to step in with an opinion, because I really do 'get' wanting to pursue a tough path, but...here I go anyway with an opinion.

35mm is as hard a thing to manage in the handcoated biz as you can get. And, in the beginning it's not the right thing to be concentrating on. Learn to make an emulsion first. Make a lot of them, one after another. Fancy will follow from practice. Even if you don't want to be a 120 format photographer, old and not-so-old 120 cameras are available for a song. It's very easy to get the spools and backing paper. It's big enough to be easy to handle and small enough that you get a lot of bang for the buck. The money you save from experimenting with something very likely to work well for you will pay back the cost of the 120 gear in about a day (well, maybe a slight exaggeration, but only slight )

Also, I'm not familiar with the 35mm material you reference, but it's important to determine if it's polyester or acetate. Wall's formula is very good, but it only works with acetate film, and then with a fair bit of flaws by modern film standards. My suggestion for you is to start with commercially subbed film. More info here: http://www.thelightfarm.com/cgi-bin/...tent=28Nov2011

This is a great time to get started with diy emulsions. PE's book and DVD are sure to be great resources. And, of course, I'm also partial to The Light Farm. And, old books. And APUG. But, at the end of the day, what's really important is just digging in and getting started. OK, enough preaching and cheerleading from me. Best of luck and fun!

d