Quote Originally Posted by agfarapid View Post
I have to agree with GeorgK on this one. Many years ago I tried Rodinal with Tri-X and wound up with contrasty, grainy negatives when exposed at box speed. I don't want to start a war on this issue but from my experience, Rodinal (which I do use for some applications) is not the panacea that some make it to be. For ease of use, I have been personally satisfied with HC-110 dil B (1:31). Temperature control is easy and have been using it for TMY, TMX, Across and sometimes even the Foma films. It's also very cheap as well. My runner-up developer is Xtol. It's bit more costly and I use it 1:1 dilution (which I gather the OP wanted to escape from since he's using D-76 1:1). My advice--either change films (Across is OK with Rodinal) or switch developers.
I guess I loose a lot of film speed while using Rodinal, but that's actually fine with me (low-light is when I use my DSLR and/or a tripod). But what I like the most with Rodinal is how easy it is to mix the chemicals and get them to the right temperature (it takes 2 minutes to fix the water, then I only have to add rodinal + water in a vial) compared to D76 (more liquids and a lot trickier if I'm off after mixing them both).

After reading The Negative and The Print I was tempted to start using HC110 but couldn't find any good times for my Foma films I used earlier, so I decided to stick with R09. But now I'm not so sure, however...

Anyways, I guess I have to scan and/or make a few pritns from my last roll and see how it actually behaves. But the negatives looked pretty dense...