Quote Originally Posted by kerne View Post
I was reading a book today (yep, made from real dead trees) on camera history and got to wondering if there were any MF cameras designed and made (possibly with masks) to cover all the major MF sizes - 6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7 and 6x9. I wouldn't expect such a beast to stray much further into the panoramic class - 6x12 or higher, but that would be interesting.

I know several folders have masks to cover both 6x4.5 and 6x6 or similar arrangements. But aside from fabricating masks for my own 6x9 Ikonta folder, was there ever a model designed specifically to cover all four sizes?

Cheers,
-- David N.
I had a Horseman VH and used all of those sizes on it. In addition to the horseman 6x9 back and sheet holders, it took all the RB backs, 645 through 6x8, so it was easy.

The RB has a 6x8 back, so... close to 6x9 but not quite!

The main issue with a camera covering all these formats and doing it well is that for smaller formats you typically want better corrected lenses with smaller image circle, whereas for larger format you could usually care less. This is the classic lens advanateg versus format advantage debate. Mind you, some of the lenses can do both and quite admirably.