Think of the divide between printer/photographer as you would singer/songwriter. Nobody's feelings would be hurt if you said Bernie Taupin wasn't a great singer. A photographer who turns their work over to someone else for finishing can be a master photographer, and might take no insult if not remembered as a master printer.

Any photographer/printer fills the role of master printer to their own work. It is a challenge that can limit, so Fred Picker worked very hard to make Fine Prints yet he's remembered here less as a photographer. I have always been sensitive to this because I consider myself a printer. I need something worthwhile to print. My photography is driven by the print. But I strive not to print for the print's sake alone. I demand an interesting subject or idea from my photographer-self. My ingrained printer demands a negative that is beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
... on the other hand Paul Caponigro another renowned printer produced some sub standard work shot in the UK in Megaliths...

Ansel Adams was not a master printer, or at least not until quite late in his life. Early prints are all over the place...
It's a journey with ups and downs, I wouldn't knock either for a few gaffes along the way. Call me a journeyman printer.