Quote Originally Posted by David Hall
I grew up along the American river in Northern California, and returned this weekend with my son. We saw some guys fly fishing, as I always did growinig up. As my 5 year old was talking to them and asking to see the flies, etc, it dawned on me that in years and years of watching guys fly fish, I have never seen them actually catch a fish.
Nothing. That's not the point, they explained. The point is to be there hip deep in icy water, casting.
I'm not sure if that's it. either. To me, there is not a whole lot of diffference between Fly fishing and Photogrphy, at least at one level: I feel a whole lot better doing it than I do *Not* doing it.

Perhaps we do it so that we talk about it afterwards. I can remember one memorable incident on the Little Ossippee River in Maine -
I was in the middle of the stream, casting away - when I realized the urge to GO - always a problem when wearing chest-high waders. So -- slosh over to the bank, climb out, walk thitry yards or so up the hill, to be screened from public view. Lay the rod (Thomas & Thomas) against a tree, remove the vest. Wiggle out of the wader suspenders, bring them down around the ankles. Uh ... unbutton, lean against a tree, taknig care that the angle of one's body is sufficient to *miss* the waterproof waders below...
... And look up to discover a *very* interesting young lady who had swum across the river and was heading up the hill directly at me ... topless...

Talk about babbling like an idiot... I was trying to think of some suave explanation for the waders around my ankles....

[/quote) ...Why we do what we do... [/quote]

I don't know. Maybe it is some kind of weird reaction formation directed against money. I've caculated that Brook Trout costs me US$987.03 an ounce (15g) ... and photography ... I don't even want to think about the cost...