Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
hi lesm

i agree with what early riser just posted ..
the best way to allow yourself to be able to forget you have
a camera you are working with, is to be 1 with it, and know
how it will react to everything you will do. ..
The corollary to that (and the lesson I have yet to learn despite decades of taking photos) is to find a good camera and stick to it! I was born in the Year of the Wood Monkey and I have a monkey mind - never still, never satisfied, always wanting to try something new. It has its upsides, but consistency isn't one of them. I've had more cameras than motorbikes (and oh, there's been a few - ask my wife). But I'm workin' on it, I'm workin' on it. I'm down to eight cameras (and three of those are digital, so that's in a parallel universe). But then there's lenses....

Seriously, your point is well made and I do understand it. One of the things that still gives me goose bumps is the moment of squeezing the shutter and winding on, knowing that it took 13.7 billion years to arrive at that 250th of a second. Galaxies, stars and planets have been born and died, dinosaurs came and went, civilizations have risen and fallen, mountains have been heaved up and worn down, all leading up to this brief moment and the echo of that moment is inside my camera and nowhere else in the universe. Those are the moments when I get an inkling of what it means to be a photographer.