Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
h.v. I am talking digital archiving as a whole btw the more powerful a harddrive is the more likely it is to fail. Facebook and Co is not even ten years old and the content of the profiles constantly changes (constantly rewritten). Germany has a huge Archive for it's digital documents and guess what they save it on microfilm. The best long term digital storage devise is the rosetta stone that nobody uses because nobody can afford it, the second best is magnetic tape (max 30 years that's not long term for an archivist) never believe the propaganda from the digital companies. The best affordable storage devise is Film yes good old Film nothing beats it for economy and and long term stability (under the right conditions). Germany and other countries store it in old mines under ideal conditions and expect it to survive the next 200 - 500 years (that's long term). This market is also unfortunately for Kodak pretty much in Agfa's and Fuji's hand.

Dominik
Look, I don't really want to much further with this as this is getting to be too much of digital vs. film. All I wanted to say was that the world is different now, and 90% of people (in developed nations, anyways) seem to be rather content with digital file sharing and archiving, with little being printed.

I agree that film is a great archival format that has been proven to last over a century if properly maintained. Not to mention, in 100 years, a film negative can be copied again so that worries of the negative fading are rendered moot.

But what I am saying is most people have moved on from that. Digital archiving is not to the level of film archiving, but it isn't half bad if you remove your hard film bias and it's clearly working for most people. How is a hard drive that is powerful enough to withstand time and some environmental conditions more likely to fail with time and environmental conditions? That doesn't make sense.

You are right, Facebook isn't very old. But neither was film in the 19th century, and look how far it's gotten! Facebook may bite the dust, but there will always be another company to take its place (like how Facebook was there when Myspace tanked in popularity). People's treasured memories don't just disappear from Facebook due to a hard drive at Facebook failing (and like I said, with cloud and solid state HD, this is less of a worry). The only way they would disappear is if Facebook ceased to exist, but there would likely be sufficient notice and an alternative website.

Anyways, I'm done with this conversation. I've made my point, and if you disagree, that's fine, no point clogging a Kodak thread with any digital vs. film.