Firstly, hooking up the things to an RB is your choice between the new age remotes and the long cables. Not sure if anybody would have much to add there. You can always just go a cable until you decide you may want the fancy cordless triggers later.

Secondly, get a decent light meter. Your choice. I use an older minolta autometer IVf, its fine (does cord and non-chord as well as ambient and reflected with the accessory piece)

I've only ever used hot light in reasonably large studio's. If they got too warm, we'd put on a fan. But I only used them seldomly and only for product/set up (non-people related) shots. You can get soft boxes and other light shaping accessories made to cope with the more intense heat from them from various manufacturers. Comparing that to strobes, well... it depends on what you want out of it.

Im going to eventually buy my own strobes too. Depending what you need them to do, there's a reasonably vast array from any of the big names (broncolor/bowens/elinchrom) to others. Wether you can get by with a small entry level kit is very dependant on what you need it to do. You never mentioned what specifically you need it for. If your doing small sets in a studio, you may not need a million jules from the big dollar manufactures. But then if your taking them on location doing reasonably large fashion sets, you'll need battery packs etc etc all adding dearly to cost. And not to mention the choice between mono lights and generators which can be vastly different in cost too. I'd suggest starting with mono lights, wether you need the battery pack (could add like a grand to price) is depending on the above.

Bowens have good priced starter kits with their mono lights. If your like me though, the added cost of the battery for location is essential. But you can't go wrong. Go have a look around around the bowens site for example. Depending what's available in your area, you may have more choices, but as a side comment, I'd suggest buying from a company with good product support if your about to spend some good dollars on equipment.

Studio lights rule. There's no going back. You could even hire some for a day/weekend to come to terms with them first too. I hope that helped... a tiny bit. Im sure other's will have many other things to suggest.