Quote Originally Posted by Danielle View Post
Hoffy has a good point, its just that I didn't suggest it because this is an analog site and I didn't want to get flamed as well . Digifail is a fantastic polaroid to test your lighting with if nothing else, doesn't of course mean you escape a decent light meter though. It does mean that you won't potentially burn good film, especially 5x4 film.

As said above, there are cheapies. I wouldn't get 'cheapies' if you want to do this long term. A good decent branded system with a decent set of light modifiers will be a lot better long term as well as being a system you can build on. However the choice is there.
While I seem to lean to the cheaper systems, I am not going to disagree with you here! The cheap strobes that I have do me fine, for the limited usage they get (probably once every 3 to 6 months). For me, it was rather hard to justify the price of a starter Bowens or Elincrome kit, simply because my usage is purely for my own enjoyment.

That being said, I have noticed that after 8 years, the seller has disappeared off of ebay, which means (probably) no support. If I get a failure, I will more then likely look at a named brand.

If you think that this is going to be a regular part of your photography, invest in a name brand now!