I was a film photographer (35mm) for a number of years before making the switch to digital. A few months ago I started a project to sort through old negatives and scan old images. In the process of looking at negatives I found myself more and more in love with the look and feel of the images on film. I tried experimenting with digital images and recreating the look of grain from films I had loved but it never was the same for me.

By this time I had cut back to a single film body - a Nikon F4s that was suffering from a failing shutter so I started researching for a replacement. I've always been a fan of medium format (6x6 specifically) so I looked at a number of options and finally settled on getting myself a Bronica SQ. Through some diligent web searching and eBay auction watching over a few months I've managed to put together a great kit consisting of a mint SQ-Ai body, 80mm f/2.8 PS lens, waist level and prism (non-metered) finders, several mint/new 120 backs, a Polaroid back new in box, speed winder and even a bellows-type lens shade all for under $1000.

So far I've been testing with a number of different films finding ones I like (so far I think Ilford HP5 tops my list, but I'm always looking for recommendations) and having them processed by a local lab. Next up is starting to develop myself, but it's been a number of years since I've worked in a darkroom so I'm taking it one step at a time for now.

Anyway, I was very happy to come across APUG and have been lurking for a bit so I figured I should get out and start contributing to this great community.