Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
They have to be light to focus quickly--no way the mass of a MF lens could be accelerated that fast. I've found mine to be remarkably tough but if you're sadistic or accident-prone, they will break--big surprise.
The 35/2AF is notorious for oily blades--no news there. If you're buying hi-mileage, used lenses, then the chance of problems just increases. BTW, MF Nikkors aren't immune to troubles either: dried-out helicoids, sloppy focus, impact damage, loose aperture detents. They all wear out and/or break.

For the record, my 35mm f2 was purchased new, it was just out of guarantee period. And I'm certainly not sadistic with my lenses. If "oily blades" are a known issue, then why have Nikon apparently not fixed this problem at source? My oldest manual lens; a 55mm 1.2 Nikon, originally designed for the Nikon F, is still performing faultlessly, as is my (now) well used and marked, but extremely sturdy 35mm f2 manual, both purchased new in 1979. A 105mm 2.5 from the same series, still focusses with the silky smooth action typical of lenses of this period.

Yes, I understand, that if you want lenses that autofocus quickly, then some sacrifice has to be made re. the solidity of construction. I have now decided I prefer the long term reliability of manual focus, over the luxury of autofocus.