Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
Yes, I know! But I'm using a Focomat IIc and I can't use any lenses except the Focotar 95mm, 100mm, 105mm and 60mm.

But my question was why exactly is 80mm (or 100mm) better then 60mm (or 50mm) for 6x6? I understand that each focal length is optimized for a given enlargement ratio (10X, for example) and in accordance with the height of the head itself, but if the height of the head is not a problem then why would 80mm be better then 50? What is the real reason behind this? Because saying that a 80mm lens is sharper then a 50mm lens is not true. Besides the ease of use and keeping the ratios sensibly the same why would it be bad to use a 60mm lens for 6x6 format?

Maybe you can answer?
NO, only you can answer - Try to find an 80mm lens that will fit the narrow Leitz IIc lens mount tube, an early 80mm Componon should do it, perhaps with the Leitz ext'n tube removed

My experience, but I am not going in the darkroom on a hot day like today as it is cold beer on the verandah time, is that the shorter early Focotars did not cover that well, so trying to push a lens designed for 35mm to 120 is asking for "interesting" results - Anyhow, try them out and see what your answers are

I have a currently unused, unused ever, brand new first series 80mm Componon that I will try in the Leitz tube a bit later on