Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
I would guess it's static, rather than magnetism. If that's the case, then perhaps some higher humidity weather might help- head for the Mediterranean. On the other hand, if it is indeed magnetism, then locally heating it up a lot with a hair blower might do the trick, but that runs the risk of overheating some other parts!
I doubt it is magnetism, the needle is aluminium. Static electricity, or some sort of interference .
Even if it was steel, the hairdryer trick would be useless - unless your hairdryer goes up to about 1200F.