Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
We're not living in an "Instamatic" or "Hawkeye" film world any longer. I see bins of old film p&S and low-end AF SLRs giveaway-priced and collecting dust at the outlet of a large camera chain in Toronto. There are no new film cameras because there's no demand sufficient to warrant production. These fact-free arguments won't turn back the clock. I'm hoping Ilford stays afloat. Kodak? We're all guessing.
Any corporate entity buying the film assets will pretty much need to also buy those cameras and give them away free to spur sales of film. I am the grateful recipient of some of those bargain bin SLR's (at Henry's downtown T.O....right?) and they are fantastic. But you are right; they do not sell side-by-side with a wall of digital products. Where they are is the wrong sales channel for anyone who values analog film. and somewhere in that same store is likely a new analog Leica and $20,000 worth of lenses.

As someone who recently got back into film after the better part of a decade away, the biggest impediment is developing, printing, and scanning. Ilford seems to have clicked into that gap with their mail order service because the home darkroom hobby market is far too small to sustain industrial emulsion production. We all want Kodaks' crow jewels to survive, but they need more elements to do so than just some buyer to keep the factory churning out Tri-X and Portra. All of Kodak's documents demonstrate is a continuous downhill slide in film demand, at 10%+ per annum, with more than 90% of the historic high point gone within the last decade. Any solution for analog roll and cartridge film survival will require a whole circle of products.