Sincerely hope that Kodak can hang on until Oct 3rd, 2013 so I can write a sardonic reply to this classic photo.net post from 2003:

"I firmly believe that film will indeed disappear for all intents and purposes within this decade (if a roll of Tri-X costs $49.95, who is *really* going to buy it?)" [...] "Whether there will be any film available by 2010 or not isn't worth debating, the cost will be extraordinarily high [...] it will in fact be only the affluent collector who will find film affordable"
http://photo.net/leica-rangefinders-...06969?start=10

The long death of film (always understood as the death of Kodak) is a phenomenon in itself, some people would give an arm to extent their life by as long as film has died. Premature mourning is never a good thing. I for one will miss the darkroom but we're not there yet, maybe I'll get bored and give up long before the death or maybe I will die first. Who knows. I'll probably take up drawing - can't create art through this lame computer, it would be like making love to your partner whilst wearing work clothes, an intolerable merging of two separate worlds: work and play. Besides, I don't think film and digital are analogous. The presence of a lens seems to be the only marrying factor but I could write a poem while wearing glasses and create art with a lens. Cooking has more in common with its obsession with time and cumulative stages. Artistic urges will always find a channel. However, I'm rather pleased with how my photos look during this long death of film, I can't say that the morbid obsession some people have with envisioning the approaching chill has tempered my printing.