I worked for Kodak 1984-1990. At that point it was easy to see that Kodak management did not have good vision. They were using the highly profitable film "trust fund" to market (not manufacture) a new course. They tried selling:

-Floppy disks and Video tape (short lived)
-Batteries (that leaked). They thought they were equal to Duracell/Eveready.
-Sterling Drugs (bought high, sold low)
-8mm? video cameras (don't remember the format, but neither did anyone else)
-Verbatim discs

Ten years after I quit, it seemed like Kodak couldn't kill film quick enough. It seemed like they thought Wall Street was equating Kodak future with film sales, so they were killing film to show they had moved on. It seemed to me they should have tried SOMETHING to prolong films sales since film is extremely profitable. Off the top of my head:

-Develop a way to record digital images on film (like a backup hard drive) so there is a permanent record of your images that won't fail.
-Promote digital internegs and contact printing onto photo (silver) paper
-Feature a film photographer of the month
-Court the large format crowd of photographers. (They're the least likely to go digital.)
-Advertise film (wow, a radical idea)

Anyway, what I saw seemeed like Kodak was trying to show how it was "out of film photography," and that helped promote the general public switching to digital.

Unfortunately, I think Kodak will be sliced up and sold off as scrap, meaning film production will be gone in a year or two.

Jay