Quote Originally Posted by R.Gould View Post
Here Here, whiles't I would be very sad to see kodak film disapear, especialy Trix, which I have used for many years, nothing we can say or do will change anything, and it would not be the end of the film world, Ilford seems to be still going well, as is adox,foma and other smaller makers, so why don't we all use and enjoy the Kodak films while we have them, and if they go then look around for other materials, and continue to enjoy the photography we love, I don't see film and darkroom disapearing in my lifetime,so just have fun with film,
Richard
I can guarantee you discussions like this won't stop. They are a vent and, to some extent, a talisman to ward off evil. There's people here who feed themselves and their families via film photography, people who just enjoy the physical act of taking pictures (me), people who hold on to this archaic process as a way to hold on to a disappearing past and their memories of it (me again).

Thankfully, millions of cameras were manufactured. Thankfully, they are pretty robust devices, and with a little care and some grease from time to time they will certainly outlast their owners. So we have a plentiful supply of used cameras going forward*. That base is covered. With some very inexpensive tools one can mix at home all the great B&W developers so that base is covered. Film is another matter. It's complex, as PE has often alluded to, and even if you are able to coat your own 4x5 film I think coating five feet of 35mm film base would be not so easy. So when film supply is threatened it is worrisome. As good little consumers all we can do is buy film but if the situation is such that selling film cannot remedy the problem (like Kodak's) then that base is not entirely covered. There are other films out there but who's to say? Kodak was King once too, remember? My point here is that you should not expect threads like this to disappear or stay rational because the core issues are not entirely rational, or financial, or organizational.

You're entirely right about having fun. That's why we're in this.

s-a

* In 2005(?) Nikon released in Japan only a commemorative Nikon SP rangefinder. New production of, I think, 2500 units. They sold out. Poof. I seriously doubt Nikon would have immediately destroyed the tooling for those. I believe there will be a point of resistance reached to sales of yet another rev of digital cameras. Just like the hamster wheel of another more powerful computer every few years. Nikon's D4, the new flagship, has "only" 16M pixels; 30% fewer than the prior flagship's 24M, and the price is lower as well. What's up with that? Declining demand? I'm sure there's a lot of new-ness to pay for but perhaps Nikon has reached a point of declining returns on the tech, a point of stasis, and now needs frillier features to make sales. Like HD movies. Maybe the prosumer market is becoming sated. Meanwhile that SP tooling is out there... The CFO is trying to guess at Leica's numbers; tea leaves just have to turn up correctly.