I've been so focused on APUG and dedicated film publications that until recently I did not know how common it is in popular photography circles to act as if film were dead and buried. Another way we should be promoting film use is by taking opportunities to speak up like Mark Twain and protest that reports of our death have been greatly exaggerated. I just reviewed a book on Amazon.com, "The Passionate Photographer" in which I pointed out how its treatment of contemporary film photographers was completely misleading and unfair to the tens of thousands of passionate film shooters who are out taking pictures every day. And recently Brooks Jensen, of all people, posted a commentary on one of his Lenswork blogs in which he mourned the loss of 'depth of field' as an artistic tool, suggesting it is one of the casualties of our digital age (he concluded by saying, "When I stumble upon this affect and see it so successfully used it brings back fond memories of a photographic technique I miss dearly.") I posted a comment that if he missed depth of field and bokeh, he could find many beautiful examples of both every day in the galleries of APUG.org, and that he might choose to shoot a roll of film from time to time, as needed, to scratch that itch.

We won't influence those who insist on writing that film is dead, but their audiences include a lot of newbies who will believe them if we aren't there politely correcting the record.

Jim O.