My dad had a Rolleiflex and photographed me as a small child (early 1960s). When I got a bit older and saw the photos, I was fascinated to find out (a) how to take such photos and (b) how to turn the negative into a positive. When I got to about the age of 10, I got a Kodak instamatic (or similar) for my birthday but I didn't like it as it wasn't as heavy / shiny / complicated looking as my dad's Rollei.

By the age of 13, my mum and dad saved enough to buy me an Edixaflex 35mm camera with a waist level finder. I loved that camera aside from the WLF as my hobby became shooting Speedway matches at Belle Vue in my native Manchester (the proper one in the UK). Learning how to pan the opposite way to the way the motorcycles were travelling was really tricky.

I don't think I've ever been without a camera since and, despite enjoying using D***tal as well, I remain an ardent fan of film to his day. My biggest regret, photographically, is that I traded that camera for next to nothing and I have no idea where my dad's Rollei went. He probably hawked it when we needed some money......