Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
Dr Bertram Miller, Md a retired pediatrician who lived and I hope still lives in Mexico was a very experience color printer. Obviously, as you may well have guessed, there was a Miller Method I and II.
I had an e-mail exchange with him a year or so ago so he does (I hope) still read mail.

Honestly, however, I don't think his method is much needed anymore given the developments in colour sensors. With the Lici Colorstar or Jobo Colorline one really can zero in on things and not worry too much about negative material. The reflective densitometer is still important at getting the calibration right--- the auto function is really only usefull at tracking any changes due to chemical exhaustion, termperature changes and other moving paramters--- but its more complicated than using a series of test prints and visual comparison under a norm 5000 light.

I think the main advantage of Bert's system was it de-coupled--- some people seem to have de-coupled their brains in this thread but that's another set of topics--- user judgement (and user error) from the printing process--- no need even for a "perfect" print for calibration or even to know what a "perfect" print looks like (and in the end all prints are "perfect").

His final version.. btw. I think requires a Colorstar or Colorline analyser alongside a good Status-A reflective densitometer.. and (worse of all) Microsoft Windows 2000 or newer..