Quote Originally Posted by Alan Johnson View Post
However,I think that before being too critical one needs to take into account that the posting of scanned images for assessment of granularity is in its infancy.Furthur, I am not even sure if we are supposed to discuss the protocols here as some Photoshop is inevitably involved.So at this time there is no Protocol.
Alan, if you read my post carefully you'll see that scanning procedure and possible post processing from scanner software and format conversion had little influence on the outcome of my measurement. Michael calls for scans of highly enlarged photos which is exactly what I did. I have no idea what all this fuss is about, I sure hope these are not just copy&paste standard responses thrown at anyone who tries home brewing.

Quote Originally Posted by albada View Post
I should mention that the purpose of this developer is to give lower contrast and more latitude. Its shadow-grain is worse than XTOL.
Let me say this: I have used quite a few films with a few developers in combination and this is the first time I could use a shot aimed at the sun directly and put it on paper without any dodging and burning. I don't like the grain in the sun rays much but I'll try to find out how to improve this. Hell yeah am I hooked one home brewing, thanks Mark!

I would like to learn why this recipe did what it did. It looks very similar to PC glycol in composition but adds sulfite and uses more phenidone/ascorbate, two things which I would expect to cause higher contrast and small grain. Did you develop this formulation yourself or did you get it from somewhere else?

PS: I will get the darkroom cookbook soon and will have access to at least one from Ryuji's list of books about photo chemistry, so I should learn about this subject matter shortly. The next practical experiment on my list is expose TriX @ 400 and try Mark's recipe as it was intended (with full metaborate content).