Quote Originally Posted by maliha View Post
When I am doing portraits, as I mentioned in my initial post, I usually use my DSLR which gives me a somewhat accurate reading and also helps me see what to expect before switching to film. But I understand if I'm shooting with a busy backdrop then having a handheld meter may be unbeatable.
This need to see before the fact will fade as you get more experience and your confidence grows.

Problems with Pentax MV1: First of all, it's basic. Photos either come out right or they don't.
This is a two part problem, 1-the camera making a decision, 2-reflective metering.

Also, lately I am finding 35mm sort of boring.

For these situation I thought may be having a built in meter would be helpful than a handheld one. So I think metered prism is the answer? May be I should try out several options and see which works better before making a purchase though. I mean by now I have an okay idea as to what shutter speed and ISO combo work in outdoor situation, but guesswork is just that... guesswork... no guarantee it will be perfect in any situation.
As I am shooting more and more I am finding more and more obstacles... shouldn't it have been the opposite? Sigh...
You can make photography as hard or as easy as you want.

The apps are easy and cheap and workable. Much better than nothing.

The metered prisms have the advantage of being part of the camera.

Hand held incident meters, once learned, really take the guessing out.