All Nikon wides are excellent, but some are more excellent than others. Which, depends on your preferences and style.

In the 17-24 range, probably the best all around lens is the 20/2.8. If you want to go smaller and lighter but stay at 20, then f/3.5 AI-S and f/4 might be better (they don't have CRC though, if you intend to shoot close to MFD). If you want cheaper, go with the 24/2.8.
For me, 24/2 does exactly what I want at this FL, not more and not less. I shoot low light candids with it so its questionable out-of-center sharpness is of no significance to me.

Outside 17-24? For low light it's the 28/2, which also does landscapes really, really well. You've gotta check out its "boke" as it's not everyone's cup of tea. 28/2.8 AI-S has very little, if any, distortion, and is remarkably sharp up close. Its MFD is smaller than that of the 28/2 and the lens itself is smaller. I've had both but later sold the f/2 and kept the f/2.8 AI-S, because of its size, MFD and sharpness close to it, color and OOF rendering.

My "normal" lens is the 35/1.4 AI-S. It's not cheap and many people don't like the way it draws between f/1.4 and f/2, but if you are not one of them then you won't find anything like it without going big and heavy.

I've heard people saying that Tokina 17/3.5 is a great lens and I've seen pictures made with it, but I have never used it so can't comment.