Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
All I'm saying is this should not happen to an expensive, precision piece of equipment, at least for a damn long time.
Arrgh! Your outrage is badly mis-directed.

First of all, the problem isn't unique to Schneider. Boyer lenses' edge blacking is more prone, in my experience, to bubbling up than Schneiders.

Secondly, Boyeritis has no effect on lens' performance.

If you want to get mad about poor choice of materials, get mad about Rodenstock's and Voigthlaender's choice of uv-curing lens cement. Entirely too many Rodenstock lenses from the early '60s to the mid-70s and nearly all Apo-Skopars have major separation. Come to think of it, I have a 25-15 converter for my 25/1.4 Cine Ektar II with such horrible Newton's rings that it is completely unusable. So get mad at Kodak too.

If you want to get really mad, blow your stack at the mythical long-dead DIN standard that Rodenstock and Schneider use to justify their marketing claim that their taking lenses for general photography are apochromats.

Stop ranting about things you can't change and get on with building your LF kit and learning to use it.