Thanks keith, but I guess what I'm looking for is specifically how to get a positive from a thin negative, and not necessarily any kind of "look". You could call it the ambrotype look maybe, but it'd be impossible to achieve on paper owing to the fundamental difference in the nature of either kind of image. Just like how you can only experience a daguerreotype in person..

update: a few historic examples ->