Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBob View Post
I love my MD-12's on my FE and FAs, but will start doing as you and only install it if I really need it.

Rolleiman, thanks for that info on the MD-11. I can't remember why I chose to get MD-12's for my stuff right now, I think it was because I read somewhere the MD-12 was newer and many of the MD-11's were worked very hard and additionally that parts were harder to come by.
I do the complete opposite with my FE -- I leave the motor on at all times. The MD-11/12 seems much more fickle to get set up than are the later MD-4s. So I opt for getting it set up correctly and not having to fiddle wiht it again. The only reason I might take the MD-11 off of my FE would be to replace it with a MD-12. The battery drain is a real issue and I'm just not as disciplined as I should be with regard to turning the switch of 'off'. If only it wore out the MD batteries, but it wears out the meter batteries at the same time. Those once were found at every corner drugstore but not any longer.

Re: parts availability... I wouldn't worry about that. The are so old and inexpensive and plentiful that they may as well be considered "throw-away". That breaks my heart, but it is what it is.