Doninik - dye transfer matrix film has already had three custom runs in Europe. My freezer is full of the last of the Ekfe batch, and allegedly the film made in Germany is better per dust control, but that all went to one user
in Germany who exposes it via blue laser, but otherwise processes it traditionally. I'm personally working in more an advanced tweak of the older wash-off relief technique, totally analog, but so far getting very promising test results, but still haven't had time to do serious personal printing this way. The whole problem with alternative
printers is that they naturally want to experiment in all kinds of different directions, so it's quite difficult to pool
buying power into any one category. Dye transfer would be easy to revive if there were enough younger workers
willing to spend the time and money. But it does require a fair amount of elbow room if one wishes to make larger
prints. Commercially it will never compete with inkjet. You've got to want to do it for personal reason, or for the
superior look of certain specific colors. But my goal is not to replicate it but actually improve it in certain respects. I can confidently state that I've found better ways to make separation negatives than in the heyday
of the process, without even resorting to digital negs, and have also figured out better ways to develop the
matrices. Other folks are exploring ways of improving dyes and mordants.