Here at George Eastman House International Museum of Phtotography and Film we offer a wide range of hands-on photographic process workshops. These include everything from the dawn of photography (three workshops will actually be conducted at Lacock Abbey) to daguerreotype, wet collodion and various printing techniques...to gelatin technology. This year we have 16 process workshops; three that feature dry plate or emulsions.

These include:

Dry collodion negatives on glass. (this is not an emulsion process)
Collodion-chloride printing-out paper emulsion
Gelatin chloride AZO type emulsion for slow developed-out printing paper

Our workshops include an introductory powerpoint presentation on the history and technology, hands-on instruction, viewing masterworks of the featured process from the museums archives, relevant readings and full instructions.

All of our workshops are designed for the beginner, with absolutely no experience necessary to attend. Additionally, we are available for technical assistance via phone or email for any of the processes we teach (and many others that might not be on the schedule) even for those who have not taken our workshops. Anyone may come to the museum, free of charge, to do their own primary research in our photo and technology collections if they make an appointment. There is no need to make an appointment to use the research library, which contains books on optics, photo chemistry and process dating from as early as the 17th century. One visit and you'll think you have died and gone to heaven. :-)

Our next gelatin workshop (the third one we have offered in as many years) is set to go on April 2-4th. We still have a few spaces left. This workshop will be taught by Ron Mowrey and myself. Ron's approach is from the left side of the brain and mine is from the right side. It's a strange synergy that works and allows levels to find levels in a group situation.

If you are interested in gelatin emulsion and also want to see some amazing images, come join us and see how easy and cheap it is to make your own gelatin emulsion. No mystery...like making instant coffee.

For specific questions, feel free to contact me directly at mosterman@geh.org

For the link to this and our other workshops see: http://www.eastmanhouse.org/events/s...hoto-workshops

Mark Osterman, Process Historian