Shooting wide open really pinpoints your skills as a photographer.

Focus becomes critical, and it isn't so much that you are IN focus - the real concern becomes WHERE you're in focus. And that changes a lot based on how far you are from the object you are focusing on. It takes some trial and error to come to terms with where focus is appropriate, and how to get enough focus in that area to make a satisfying negative.

I personally like a 25mm aperture for portraits, for example. That means f/4 for a 100mm lens, f/2 for a 50mm lens and f/1.4 for 35mm lenses. (100/4 = 50/2 = 35/1.4 = 25). That determines your depth of field. So shooting a 35mm f/2 lens wide open is going to give you an entirely different depth of field than a 50mm f/1.4 lens; your depth of field will be a different by a factor of 4. So if you want consistency in your work you should probably consider a 50mm f/2 and a 35mm f/1.4.

Either way, all technical terms aside, shooting wide open is where most lenses show their anomalies the most. Vignetting, sharpness fall-off, etc become pronounced. That could yield interesting results if used appropriately, or it could look like crap. But I can guarantee you it will look interesting.

With that said, you probably are better off exploring the full potential of the lens. You could, for example, set up a portrait session with a friend or something, and just do static portraits shooting at different apertures. Print all of the different versions and figure out what you like the best. Or shoot landscape at different apertures and print those negs. Just explore the lens and see how you like it best. No need to subscribe to a single way of shooting.

My two cents.