True to an extent. Understanding the context in which people behaved within the context of their native environment and times is very important to understanding their beliefes and behaviours
Agreed, and perhaps "moralise" is the wrong word, but I am not an anthropologist, or an "ologist" at anything really. My story was just to suggest that what is anathema to some is, rightly or wrongly, revered by others and we shouldn't judge without the full facts. This does have relevance to us as photographers - even some photos in the gallery that we consider "art" could be considered inappropriate if viewed out of context.

Do we excuse racial bigotry (thinking southern US in the 1950s, for example) as acceptable because the majority apparently practiced such beliefs and it was memorialized in the laws
There is another part to my story - My friend, the agent for our equipment, is not a native of this country he lives in. Even though he was born there and has lived all of his life there, by law he can never become a citizen, or own property in that country. Nor can he be the sole owner of any company (there must always be a native on the board). In some ways this is apartheid (although not bigotry), and yet he accepts it, has no quarrel with it, is quite happy to remain in that country (rather than return to the country for which he has a passport) and he is part of a successful company. At a recent company gathering, we (and some other world agents for our equipment) had a very interesting and long conversation late into the night (over in the end too many beers). I offer no opinion or judgement, but it was enlightening that our (my) "western values" are not universal, and when we seek to impose them on other cultures we may not be doing them any favours.