When I'm working on a print, getting exposure and contrast right, dodging or burning, toning, drying and spotting, I have been so close to that image that I see every wart and every wrinkle.

Handling an unframed or unmounted print often brings me so close that I can't see the forest for the trees. I see every little pinprick, every little dust spot and every little place I should have done something different. At minimum, I need to have them mounted in a portfolio book or else my eyes start going over the print with a fine toothed comb.

Putting a print into a frame and hanging it on the wall lets me stand back three feet and say, "Done!"

I was recently working on a bunch of prints, sitting at the dining room table, dabbing all the spots out with my brush. I was bitching and hollering like I always do. While I don't "hate" spotting, I find it so tedious that it sometimes makes me grouchy, especially when I can't make it come out the way I want.
So, my wife came over and tried to be supportive. She looked at the four prints we have hanging on the dining room wall and said, "These don't have spots."

I got up close and looked for a minute. Soon, I found them but it took a while.

Now that I have the latest batch of pictures in frames, I would have to go up close and look at them for a minute, too, in order to see the spots.

Putting a photo in a frame smooths out the proverbial wrinkles and makes it so I can look at them without over analyzing.