Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
So, if I understand you correctly, order is important when working up the print but, once you have found the right exposures for each filter, the order in which they are laid down does not make a difference.

Yes, I set the soft filter first then determined the hard filter. After I worked them up, I printed the two exposures in the opposite order and it didn't seem to be different.

BTW: I also took the advice of others, here, and tried printing with only one filter. I determined that a #3 filter came up with a result that's nearly the same as what I got with a #0/#5 split. I think I'm going to try a #3-1/2 single contrast print and compare to what I got with the split filter.

Overall, I think I have learned that I can do what I need with only one contrast filter unless I have the need to alter the contrast in just one area of the print. Even though it ended up taking more time to work up a split grade print only to end up doing a single contrast print, I think I have learned something that can be useful later on if I need it.
Well, what I know is that for me, the order is crucial while working up the print. What I guess is that it doesn't matter after that.

The problem that I had with single-fliter printing is that I would find the correct exposure with the filter I guessed was right. Then if I needed to change the filter for more or less contrast, the exposure changed. It seemed like I was constantly chasing my tail to get both exposure and contrast right. Just the other day I read a post by someone here who described doing the very thing that frustrated me, yet he seemed to think it was just part of the business of making a print. Since I have learned to do split grade printing I get my base exposure and contrast with two test strips. No muss, no fuss.