Quote Originally Posted by Paul Howell
I have a Mamyia Universal with 3 lens. The only draw backs to a Mamyia Press or Universal is that you have to cock the stutter, and you have to look at the lens to confirm and change both the shutter and f stop. Most photojournalist who used any of the press type camera used a flash. Mamyia made a family of press cameras, the early cameras used a 90 and the universal uses a 100. There are 2 wides a 50 and 65, (and need a seperate viewfinder) and 2 longs lens a 150 and 250 (rather rare) which if I recall correctly did not couple to the rangefinder.
There are two 250s, a HUGE f5 that couples, and an f8 that doesn't. There's also a great 75, but none of these are what the original poster is looking for.

Mamyia made a 127 for the Polaroid verison of the press. All of the lens are rather slow
Actually the 100/2.8 is as fast as any quality 6x9 lens ever made. (There are some oddball antiques that could theoretically be rigged to a Graphic but none of them are remotely sharp outside the center.) To get a faster medium format lens in any format you're stuck with an SLR system and mirror slap.

and I think I would have a difficult time hand holding a Universal at low shutter speeds as it is a rather heavy camera.
I find mine easier to handhold than anything else I've got, but it took a while to get it down.

First, throw away the godawful useless grip. For the 100/2.8 I use my right hand on the right side of the back, left hand under the camera, left thumb and middle finger on the focus ring, index finger on the on-lens trigger. This only works well for the older Seikosha shutters, on the newer Seiko shutters it's far too easy for your index finger to grab the aperture handle instead of the trigger. The dead-smooth, absolutely effortless action of the on-lens trigger eliminates much of the trigger-action induced shake that is your big problem at 1/15-1/8.

For even less shake sometimes I'll hold the camera underneath with my right hand, focus with my left hand, then take my left hand completely off the camera and fire with a cable release. This eliminates all trigger shake, but means there is a couple-second delay between focus and then grabbing the cable release and getting everything back to steady.

And if you're trying to be discrete it is a very large camera.
True enough, but I've found pointing something this funky looking at strangers doesn't elicit anywhere near the venom that my big black Canon DSLR does.

The upside is that with a 6X7 or 6X9 depending on the back (Mamyia also made a multiformate back with 4.5X6 6X6 and 6X9) you get a large negative to work with, so you can push your film 1 or 2 stops, or use Dianfine so the slower lens are not too much a problem.
These days there's just not much reason to shoot smaller than 6x9 with these. But yeah, the big neg makes pushes look great.