I shoot half film and half digital. I use digital for reference photographs that I use when I want to draw something by hand later and film for memories that count.

Why do I continue to use film? One word: archivability. I was thrilled when my family found and scanned film from my great-grandparents with pictures that hadn't been seen in more than 70 years. I felt connected to the past in a very tangible way. Digital is a very shaky archival medium right now, and with most generic consumers taking digital photos, not thinking about it and then accidentally deleting them and not constantly migrating them, who knows what's going to happen to their digital photos within 70 years?

I love taking pictures with film. Every time I hold a strip of negatives or cardboard slides, I feel a connection with what I photographed and I feel like those photographs are a labor of love.

Is digital convenient? Yes it is, but now people expect everything yesterday. It's a pain in the butt to try to shoot film at family gatherings or on trips with colleagues, because they don't have the patience to pose and wait for me to manually focus and get the exposure ready, and I feel that people have lost the virtue of patience. My aunt told me very coldly at a family gathering that film just needs to disappear, and others have told me that this is the 21st century and I need to adapt or get left behind. I'm not a Luddite, but I see digital as just another tool in the photographic toolbox, and not the best thing since sliced bread and the end-all/be-all of technological advancement. Cost doesn't matter to me, since I run a budget every month for film. I shoot wisely with film. As my dad likes to tell me: "You get what you pay for."

Is digital artistic? Yes, it is. Photoshop can do some wild things with photographs that analog can't match, and I'm learning how to digitally paint on my iPad. Those who say digital isn't and can't be artistic are deluding themselves. I want to learn how to use Photoshop and Lightroom (whenever I can afford them), but I don't like being forced into using just one medium. I constantly back up my best digital photos.

If film were to totally disappear like my aunt wished that Christmas day a couple of years ago, I wouldn't stop taking photos, but I wouldn't do it as often as I do now. It would take all the fun out of it...