Quote Originally Posted by PeteZ8 View Post
On the topic of NPR; that is the product of a socialized media outlet that will receive funding whether or not they can attract ratings, and a public outlet that must produce quality, desirable content in order to pay bills.

As for this camera, that is just awesome. I'm wondering how he gets film for this beast? Is that the size of a full width of sheet film from say, Kodak or Ilford off of their coating line? Or does film like this have to be hand made?
For the grief you're giving NPR, you are forgetting that they produce stories, worthwhile stories, that would never see light of day in a commercial medium precisely because they wouldn't move enough ad dollars. Public broadcasting is a worthwhile project - if you need further evidence, look at Ken Burns' documentaries on the Civil War and the National Parks. Sure, there are arguments that can be made about Ken Burns' style, but the same arguments can be made in volume about much work on commercial television. Given the scope of Ken Burns' projects, and the amount of airtime they require to view in full, they'd never get aired on CBS or NBC. Even HBO or Starz would be unlikely to fund and air such projects. So I'll gladly keep supporting public broadcasting with my tax dollars and my donations.