Quote Originally Posted by cramej View Post
I know exactly what he means. I constantly have to tell myself to venture out and try new things, take risks, etc. in my daily life as well as photography. (here I go applying real life to photography and not the other way around...) My wife and I recently wondered why our lives felt like they were going nowhere. We stood back, evaluated and figured out that we were too comfortable with our current situation. If we wanted things to change, we had to change. There's a much longer story that I could tell, but I won't go into it.

Anyway, you are probably very comfortable shooting still lifes. You know what you are doing and you can do it well. Sometimes venturing out into the world and trying something new can give you a new perspective on what you do best. For you, this could mean trying some really-out-there still life subjects or maybe 'still life in motion' as in shooting a still life of something that is actually in motion or 'life...still' and go out and include people and daily life activities in your compositions. I've found that in my own photography and graphic design, my work lacks that creative edge when I end up using a 'formula' for the way I do things.

Wow, I just talked myself through this, too, and gave myself some good ideas. Maybe I need to write more.
I agree. He might think you're in a rut. You've found a formula that works and you've gone as far as you can with it.

He's probably thinking, "Okay, these pictures are nice but what else does he have?"

I was taking a class about 20 years ago. One day, I walked by an old, abandoned factory building with broken windows. Got a picture of that.
A while later, I was walking down the street and saw a broken beer bottle. Shot that.
Another block over, there was a car with the headlight smashed out. Shot another one.
By the time I got home, I shot up my two rolls. I went in to the lab, developed, proofed and printed them.
The prof. liked them and, after that, I got on a roll.
The next week, after that, I brought my assignment to class and the prof. said, "What's with all the broken sh*t?" He made me go out and do it all over again.

The lesson I learned and, what I think the prof. is telling you is, "Don't be a 'one trick pony.'"