Quote Originally Posted by 6x7 View Post
Wait, you're saying I need to get myself a 2.5mL dropper because 60mL will ruin my film? I've had nothing but consistent results using the method I described above. Is there something I should be seeing on the film which would be caused by the absence of such a minute amount of developer?
I guess my post wasn't clear. The info chart for DD-X states that a one-litre bottle will process 16 films at 1:4. A dilution of 1:4 means you get 5 litres of working solution from the one-litre bottle of DD-X. If you divide 5000 ml of working solution by 16 rolls of film, it means that you must have 62 ml of DD-X and 248 ml of water at the 1:4 dilution to process each roll of film. If you want to use a 1:9 dilution, you would have to use 62 ml of DD-X and 558 ml of water to process one roll. My query is this: what happens if there is not the minimum amount (62 ml) of undiluted DD-X in the working solution? (For example, if you use DD-X diluted 1:9 like this: 30 ml of DD-X in 270 ml of water.) Could this explain the "sandy" look of grain when DD-X is used at 1:9?