Is this about getting things done? Turning off the TV is a good start.

Seriously, I think concrete goals are at the core of all achievement and happiness. Unfortunately, I'm not good with goals, at least the quantifiable, verifiable variety.

Keith Carter is one of the hardest working, most disciplined photographers alive today. He prints three or four sessions a week, three hours each. He says this allows him to almost "keep up" with his prolific output.

My main problem is that I have years of negatives that need printing, and I just can't decide which one to start with. Each one of those unfinished negatives lurks in the back of my mind, gnawing at me, telling me I am incapable of finishing, so why bother?

One thing that has helped is to decide on 10x10 prints for my everyday size. Not too big, not too small, not too expensive, nor difficult to store, just right; and if they ever need to be printed bigger, it's because the gallery is saying "we can sell these like crazy in 20x20!" At that point, someone else will probably be printing for me.

People think being a photographer is a lot of fun, and it is, but it's a lot of damned work, too. How you approach the damned work part of it is surely of equal or greater importance than the fun part. As Keith says "there's no excuse, you gotta get the work done."

I'm trying...