Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
I don't think I could do it. If I had one day and I had never been there (which I haven't) I imagine I'd have to just walk and explore. Of course I'd want to see half dome and and a few other famous sites for my first time, but from a phtographic perspective I doubt I'd by able to do anything more than tourist snapshots. I "grew up" on Ansel's pictures, and it would just be too overwhelming to be there so I'd really need to "settle down" before trying to actually see any new pictures that wouldn't be copies of Ansel, Sexton and others. I'd just enjoy it without a camera and think about what I might want to explore with a camera when I came back one day, maybe some of the less outwardly spectacular parts that yielded some of Adams's quieter images. I really don't know. It's a big park with a lot of photographic history and it would take way more than a day for me to even figure out which parts I might want to explore more deeply, let alone photograph with any kind of personal vision. That's just me though.
It's me, too. Been to Yosemite twice and not exactly added anything significant to my body of work. I've been to San Xavier del Bac several times looking for AA's tripod holes, and finally came to the conclusion that it had "been done", and by better folks than me. Seriously, I've come to a point where I want to see things more than I want to photograph them; especially things that have been photographed to death. I travel a lot lighter these days. Just because I am a photographer, I don't need to take a camera everywhere. I also have a degree in music, but don't feel the need to play every piano I see.