Well, I can only comment on the science of perception as a layman. But one thing about looking at prints, no matter how adept we might be as printers, visually our brains are very sensitive to what I'll call "illogical print values". I didn't invent that term, I'm stealing it from Ansel Adams and John Sexton, but I'm broadening the concept beyond burning and dodging errors. For example, someone can pull out all the stops to print a bright daylight scene down to dark night-time values, but in the end our brain tells us something is not quite right, and that the original scene was not dark. On some level we are acutely aware of the differences in types of light, shadows etc, and for all our interpretive efforts, in the end there does usually seems to be some relatively narrow range range within which the print will seem to make sense, or seem "right". Actually perhaps a better term is "believable".

Of course, the printer might intentionally want to create an alternative response, but that is another, purely subjective matter.

Then again I might still have completely misunderstood the question