I was talking to a guy who wanted to shoot a 360 panorama of a 20x40 foot room with his digicam on a tripod and stitch it together with Photoshop. I told him that shooting 360 panos indoors often produces less-than-optimum results because of the size and perspective issues created by the changing camera/subject distance as you rotate around the room. No matter what you do, you are bound to get some major barrel distortion in your image unless you do some heavy work.

Then there is the issue of displaying an image that's 6,000 pixels wide by 500 pixels tall. No matter how you scale it, you can't fit all on your computer screen unless you shrink the image down, so small, you can't see the detail. Either that, your you have to use viewing software that lets you scroll around the image.

At first, he treated me like, "What do you know? You don't shoot digital." Then he said, "I can display it on my PC computer just fine.
I tried to tell him that I think panos are cool and that I like them, too but I tried to tell him what problems he was going to come up against, making them. I only got more of the same speil.

Finally, just to shut him up, I pulled out a pano that I made nearly three years ago. It was one of a series of a couple dozen images of a construction site as the building was being put up. Every week, I went out on the rooftop of an adjacent building and shot an grid of pictures, six frames wide and two rows tall. That's twelve pictures in a 2-D array. What's more, I had to shoot some of the pictures in HDR because, as the building went up, parts of it would be in shadow but other parts would be backlit. The digital camera I had to use could not capture the range necessary to get all the detail. In the end, I had to shoot 36 pictures, blend them together into 12 images then color & exposure match them all before I could stitch them into a panorama.

At the conclusion of the project, I had 24 panoramic pictures shot over a six month period of a building being constructed, from the groundbreaking to the topping out and completion of the facade. The architect who designed the building asked me for permission to publish these pictures as examples.

The guy took his pictures anyway and the result was just as I said. The walls are all bent out of perspective and the pictures hanging on the walls are all warped into parallelograms.

My digital panos mop the floor with the pictures he puts out yet he has the balls to assume that I can't do it because I don't do digital?