Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
these are the operative words that a lot of DIY folks, both novices and experienced, often don't want to acknowledge. It once bothererd me that they wouldn't listen and heed that warning. I'm now resigned to the fact that they may not mind that frustration. I now refrain from objection until they take the afore mentioned advise (and, yes PR, I know you were being snarky not serious) and sell the improperly cleaned and erraticly operting camera as "freshly CLA'd" but with a no return policy.
I can't believe we're dissuading people from learning to do things on their own here. Let's not assume the guy is just going to ditch out at the first sign of difficulty. :-)

Maybe that's the case - but history has actually shown that in a lot of DIYer cases they desire to take it to completion - because the same drive that makes them want to work on it in the first place is the same drive that makes them want to finish it.

He should be encouraged to take the risk and self-educate along the way - for if we always had to rely on someone else for everything we'd basically be the equivalent of a useless cash dispenser.