In the processor that I used to use, the film was in constant motion back and forth for agitation and uniformity. It was motor driven by a light tight lid/motor combination that fit on top and allowed room light processing. I have forgotten how we changed the chemicals for some reason. Thats odd. I just went to my memory for that and there was a blank spot. Oh well, there was some type of chemical dump method...

In any event, in an 8 minute first developer, I think that a large roll of Aerial Ektachrome made dozens of passes. By your scheme, this would result in many many reversals of the front-back relationship.

There are 2 light reversal steps, but you can use white light or a fogging agent for the magenta layer making 3 light reversals. That is optional.