Quote Originally Posted by daleeman View Post
Iíve been considering downsizing. Not just the household, but camera formats too. I may not be blessed to have a 7x17 but I do enjoy 4x5, 6X6 and then 35mm.

As a heart patient and I'm not as young as I used to be, I would like to know otherís experiences with downsizing formats to parallel oneís aging process or the successes of holding back ageís ravages and still using medium to large format cameras. Does one change subjects from mountainous hikes to table top and be happy with that?

Also as one may let go prized film cameras has any one found success in spawning new younger film shooters with their equipment is all of it doomed to be sold on EvilBay?

Lee
Hi Lee,

I can't provide much input on the downsizing question but I did want to chime in on the "spawning new younger film shooters".

I hope that I'm not alone in just starting the journey to learn to appreciate the finer points on film photography while coming from the digital age. My wife recently brought home a box full of old cameras (Argus C3 caught my imagination in particular) from her grandparents and it sparked a new fascination in me to learn film shooting and developing. There is certainly something extra special about a fine photograph taken on a single exposure of film compared to sorting through 500 photographs on a digital looking for that "one good one" and all the "enhancements" that are so easily applied to digital.

I decided to take the plunge and have been scouring the web for a good deal on a nice MF to pursue my landscape work on. I finally decided on a RZ67 and have taken the leap, just today, in to the great unknown and I can't wait to "begin". The affordability of very nice equipment on the used market made this a reality for me. I believe that being forced to slow down and really think about each shot (too easy to 'not' do with digital) will make me a better photographer and make me appreciate photography even more.

I'm not all that young compared to some (mid 30s) but I wonder if at some point in one's life, the desire to return to the roots and try to mimic the old masters, becomes a strong urge for many. As such, film should have a long, although, niche life ahead of it. It may be a lot like music, some people, older and younger, still like listening to vinyl. Does that mean that records will replace CD or MP3 ever again, probably not, but that doesn't mean that they won't live on and continue to be appreciated?

I would sincerely hope that you could find someone to share your equipment and knowledge with, someone that will appreciate every moment and opportunity. They are out there, don't give up the search if that is something that is important to you.

Tom.