Glad you mentioned this, cliveh. I thought about starting this very thread a few months back but didn't get around to it. Not necessarily outright scams, but even legit/semi-legit organizations trolling other competitions and auto-mailing/mass-mailing participants. This happened to me and legit or not it pissed me off.

Long story short, I entered a print in B&W Magazine's single image contest. (sidebar: I hate the idea of competitions and have never entered one before but figured having a deadline would help me get organized a little since everything's kind of a mess right now). Anyway I didn't win but apparently B&W posts the images, presumably with contact info/email, of EVERYONE who participates. I never bothered to check and see if my image was there, but I guess it was. Relatively soon thereafter I received an email from some people claiming they thought my image "xxxx" (the email referenced the title of the image) was of high quality, and the kind of work they are interested in. Keep reading bla bla bla juried competition, etc etc etc $30 entry fee. The email appears below.

INTERNATIONAL JURIED PHOTOGRAPHY SHOW Inbox
North Valley Art League <nvalphotoshow@sbcglobal.net> Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 3:52 PM
To:
Reply | Reply to all | Forward | Print | Delete | Show original

Hi Michael,
My husband and I are chairing the NVAL 2012 International Juried Photography Show in Redding, California. We saw your image "Staircase" on the B & W Magazine website. Your work is of a very high quality--the kind that we would like to see hanging in the NVAL gallery. We are hoping that you will accept our invitation to enter our competition. Below is a synopsis of the show information.

Thanks,
Charlotte Bryson
530-221-1993 or email nvalphotoshow@sbcglobal.net
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____

NVAL 2012 INTERNATIONAL JURIED PHOTOGRAPHY SHOW

$1750 IN PRIZE MONEY

Best of Show is $1000. The show will be exhibited May 1-June 2 at the North Valley Art League's Carter House Gallery in Redding, California. Accepted works will be also be displayed in our online gallery. The gallery is adjacent to the Sacramento River and major recreation areas attracting both local and tourist traffic. The show is open to all photographers and all forms of photographic expression are encouraged.

We have an outstanding juror, Jennifer L. Daly, MFA with Distinction-Photography, who has exhibited all over the country. Her juror statement reads: "Photography has always been a diverse art form with evolving and emerging technologies, ideas, and styles. As a juror, I look forward to seeing the breadth of the medium from 'straight' photography to photo-manipulation, digital, traditional and alternative process and everything in between in order to facilitate an exhibition of interpretation of photography today."

All entries will be online and are currently being accepted. The prospectus and entry information are on our website or click the following link: http://nval.org/Photography_Show.html

Deadline: 03-24-2012
North Valley Art League
Redding, CA

email: nvalphotoshow@sbcglobal.net
Phone: 530.221.1993