I was at my local camera shop yesterday picking up a few rolls of film and noticed this thing on the shelf. I decided, hey, why not? It wasn't expensive and it could be fun. I play around with Super 8mm every once in a while and this might be a fun alternative.

One thing I always find hilarious about Lomo products is the literature that comes with the cameras is often of incredible quality. In this case the camera came with a "journal" that tells the story behind the creation of the Lomo Kino along with some nice images and drawings. I will never get over the fact that you can buy a modern Canon or Nikon for thousands of dollars with all the bells and whistles you can think of and it will come with an instruction manual that looks like it was photo copied and written by a five year old. But if you buy a Lomo you will get a bare bones plastic camera with a coffee table book in full color and glossy printing.

Go figure...

But anyway, all that being said all I've done so far is shoot a couple of rolls of my dog in the back yard. I shot it in black and white and plan on developing the rolls tonight to see what came out. The fixed shutter speed and limited choice of aperture isn't much different from shooting with a Holga. I'm not sure how much I'm going to enjoy the wide 16:9 aspect ratio but who knows, I may get used to it and embrace it a little more going forward. The concept seems very straight forward and I anticipate scanning each individual frame to put into a short movie to be kind of a b*tch but that's ok.

I'm actually looking forward to the challenge of trying to tell a story in about 40 seconds. Call me crazy, but I think it's a little easier to tell a story with a single frame. Maybe not eaiser, just more what I'm used to doing so if nothing else the creative excercise might be fun.