Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post
But what if you were enjoying your afternoon, and someone walked up to you and said that the shirt you were wearing made you look <fat, effeminate, ridiculous, insert adjective of choice...>? Now you didn't ask for input on your clothes, but by being out in public are you then subject to taking it?
...and now you know how women feel .

Coincidentally, that was the exact thing I said to my wife just last Sunday night, after returning from a relaxing weekend of kayaking on the Kern River. A comment waiting approval greeted me on one of my YouTube videos, Fine Art Print Presentation. It was a profanity laced diatribe describing nothing but homosexual acts. It took my wife awhile to convince me not to approve it for all to see. I just have nothing to fear from this kind of thing directly and feel it should be made public, as a service to the poster. But it did make me angry and the ironic thing about this kind of unprovoked attack is that the poster can't appreciate that restraint isn't normally my strong suit.

If you follow the above link to my video, take a look at the only other "critical" comment from devonmale69, and my response, which again I was advised not to approve. But I felt in this case my response took on much more weight than the provocatively unwarranted criticism itself. My reasons for posting the video were, and still remain, purely altruistic. It isn't perfect, and there are a few things I would change if remaking it, not the least of which would be adding narration. While certainly no viral video, it exists happily enough as is, to be viewed by nearly 10,000 people in less than a year and a half. My comment in response to devonmale69 has 8 thumbs up, by itself!

Even posting the video here, I was stunned by dismissive criticism by at least one commercial workshop provider, who's toes I had unwittingly stepped on, by beating him to a concept video, as he was ramping up a new presentation area of his business. Naively, I had posted it without seeking or expecting criticism. I had to be satisfied by the realization of how small this person must be to reject my efforts in such an obvious and cavalier manner.

Here are my unsolicited observations:

1. The great thing about the internet is that you can reach everyone, anywhere in the world.
  2. The bad thing about the internet is that you can reach everyone, anywhere in the world.
  3. No good deed goes unpunished.
  4. Grow a pair.