Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post
It's a different technology. You cannot easily or sensibly use the Polaroid technology for digital colour printing.
I have no idea of the costs or colour quality or resolution of this technology but, being in its infancy, I imagine it can improve vastly.

I see a future for it in those sectors somehow straddling between digital colour printing (the kind which would be made, today, with ink-jet printers or laser printers) and photographic reproduction.

Ink-jet printing creates problems with inks, nozzles to be kept clean, alignments, and long-term image preservation. This technology might simplify the printing side while allowing a photograph to be taken fast.

Imagine you have a camping site, or a conference centre, and you make "on-the-fly" a badge for guests. Imagine accreditation for fairs, press events, sport events. You can identify somebody and instantly issue a photographic colour "badge". There are already technologies for this, I know, but this could be very competitive.

Imagine the street photographer who offers to take instant pictures of people. You can do this with an Instax camera, but this technology allows you to put a physical picture in the hand of the couple AND offer him a digital picture as well.

Imagine a ceremony photographer who goes to let's say an amateur choir concert and then sells pictures to the choir singers and the public. He would be able to immediately print the picture with a simple printer, give an hopefully quality print, and deliver a digital file or, without delivering, keeping it for further copies to be made on request.

A wedding phtographer might be able to cut the competition of the so called "scattini" (so called in Italy). They are "unofficial" wedding photographers who before the ceremony take pictures of guests outside of the church / city hall, then "fly" to the lab, print the picture, and by the end of the ceremony are back there offering the guests physical pictures (guests would buy them, and this goes to the detriment of sales by the "official" photographer). The "official" photographer might be able to immediately sell the images with an instant technology, but he would keep the digital file for further copies to be ordered, killing several birds with one instant stone.

I don't know if all this will come true. Costs, quality, evolution of this technology will tell us. I think it really is interesting for the way it "straddles" instant and digital photography. I am not aware that with Instax this can be done.
Not holding my breath that a printer+camera combo churning out so far lousy images will fly. Could be a work-in-progress or a dead end. People don't pass around prints much--in case you've not noticed.