Disposables are great, I've thought about doing the same thing with the local photo club just to get members to stop thinking about the tech stuff and start thinking about composition before dropping the shutter.

As to getting the most out of them, there is very little to mess with, just pick one that's appropriate for where and when you will be shooting.

For example I took a vacation to Hawaii a while back and took a dozen waterproof disposables. They worked great (in and out of the water) for all my daytime snaps (ISO 400 Kodak C41), but the type I took had no flash. It would have been nice to have had a second type with a flash for low light snaps. Like: http://www.ecamerafilms.com/Fuji_Qui...p/10123442.htm

As far as the actual class goes composition and lighting are the things that IMO can probably be taught well. Getting the students to see how the light is falling on the subject and how to manipulate the scene to get something good.

We had a local lady talk at our club a few months back, she has had the good fortune to shoot with people like Steve McCurry and others in the travel photography biz. One of the things she learned was that when you find a good subject person, you "drag them" to a good situation. Put them in front of a good background and pose them so that they are lit nicely.

The best shots these guys get are contrived, not candid.

There are lots of examples of great photographers who apply this thought. Jose Villa, a sucessful modern wedding photographer applies similar principles, Henri Cartier-Bresson did too, picking a setting and then waiting for the right thing to happen in that setting, the decisive moment if you will. Hurrell, Karsh, Joe McNally, ... the list can go on and on.